1/3/15

More digital shopping in supermarkets


Embedded image permalink

Local supermarket has shopping carts that can hold a shopping list written in a piece of paper so that it is easy to read.The paper in the picture is empty because I don’t use shopping lists made on paper nowadays. I took the picture with my smartphone where I had the shopping list in OneNote. A cloud based list is better because then I will not forget my shopping list as long as I remember to take my smartphone with me. I can share the list so that everyone my family can edit it at home, at work, wherever. I would like to see that shopping list in the shopping cart and in electrical format of course.
Would it be possible?
Technologically it would be doable. Just put a touchscreen on the handle of the cart and NFC or some IoT solution to transfer the list from my phone on cloud to the screen. Touchscreen will be needed to easily tick out the items I have already picked. More advanced model could help me to find the shelf where the items I wan’t to have are located and even optimize the route to find all the wanted items. There is small challenge how to get electricity for the screen. It would be easy to put a battery but more challenging to find a cost efficient way to get it loaded or replaced. Maybe a small dynamo connected to the wheels of the cart would solve the challenge.
How about economically? For sure the carts with digital shopping list will be more expensive and most people don’t want to pay extra about this kind of fancy shopping list. But maybe the supermarket with these kind of advanced carts will be more attractive for some of the people. It would be easy to run some clever ads in the screen and try to get the customer to buy something more. Or even launch some nice mobile phone application to help you make the shopping list, proposing some nice recipes, and something else and finally helping you to easily find the goods from the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments here